University of Technology
Jones Street, Utimo
University of Technology Sydney
Certus projects were contracted to complete the design and construction of an infrastructure expansion trench for the University of Technology in Sydney. The work involved the installation of underground services connecting the UTS Building 10 with existing pipes in Building 7.
The project was carried out in two stages to prevent disruption to the students, residents and traffic in the area. At each stage, the works involved trenching at the determined site, structural assessment of the walls in both buildings, followed by coring, installation of utilities, backfilling and reinstatement.
An insulation process involving specialised mechanical pipes were used to maintain the water temperature underground. Additionally, waterproofing systems and hydrostatic testing were performed at regular intervals for 24 hours to ensure works were successfully installed.
Key features of the project include:
- Develop a construction strategy to minimise disruption to the existing building occupants and tenants and provide a safe work environment and cohabitation strategy
- Steel fabrication and installation was at varying depths and bends to meet the design requirements and provide allowances for the shafts next to the buildings
- Access and egress to construct on an extremely busy pedestrian area of the University
- Creating a flushing loop for chemical treatment of the water pipes before commission
- Complex installation of mechanical pipes, considering existing underground utilities and tight spacing between the shoring system
- Assessment and adjustments to maintain the basement wall structure integrity and trench stability.